I think you will find that I like recreating my favorite dishes from restaurants. This recipe is created from Johnny Carino’s Spicy Chicken & Shrimp dish that is so very delicious and way too spicy for me. The restaurant has a blog where they occasionally put recipes. This recipe is on the blog (see source), but I tried it and the recipe was just not right. The chicken and shrimp had to get cooked down way too much to let the milk/cheese sauce thicken. A bit of a dissapointment.
But, never fear, I took the recipe posted and reworked it so that it can be an easy weeknight meal and it tastes just like what you would get at the restaurant. It is great for guests. You can add other vegetables like asparagus, zuchini, etc and you can choose to do only shrimp, only chicken, or none. It’s a very versatile dish.
Spicy Shrimp & Chicken Pasta (Johnny Carino’s Copy Cat)
|Prep time||15 minutes|
|Cook time||15 minutes|
|Total time||30 minutes|
- 1/2 cup Milk (1%)
- 1 jar Alfredo Sauce ((or make 1.5 cups from scratch))
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano Cheese (grated)
- 2 Chicken Breasts (thinly sliced)
- 1lb Shrimp (deveined and peeled with tail on)
- 1/2 cup Dry Vermouth (or dry white wine)
- 1 cup Mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons Butter
- 6 Sun-dried tomatoes (rehydrated in water and then chopped)
- Cayenne Pepper (to taste)
- Fresh Basil (thinly sliced for garnish)
- .75lb Penne Pasta
As a side note, my husband does not like mushrooms, so the pictured recipe is mushroom-free. I suggest adding the mushrooms if you like them (and have them) as it does improve the flavor of the dish.