This is another great leftover dish, but can be made even without the leftover Crab Casserole. Great for when you have guests staying over or coming at breakfast or brunch.
Crab Breakfast Casserole
- White Bread Slices
- Leftover Crab Casserole (Or, use fresh crab mixed with a little Old Bay)
- Shredded Mixed Cheese (cheddar, jack, etc.)
- Salt & Pepper
This is a dish that I make the day after we have Crab Casserole. If you don't have that, just take some crab and sprinkle some Old Bay with it. There aren't any measurements, since this depends on the casserole size and the amount of crab you have. The ratio for the Eggs to milk is 6 eggs to 1/2 cup of milk. So, use that as the base. The amount of crab and cheese is all depending on how you like it. I put enough crab to cover the bottom and about 1" high (not packed).
Click here for the Crab Casserole Recipe.
|Spray casserole dish with Pam. Layer with bread slices to cover bottom & sides.|
|Add Crab Casserole or crab, broken up, covering the bottom.|
|Sprinkle with cheese.|
|In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt & pepper. Pour over crab and cheese.|
|Bake in oven for 30+ minutes (depending on size of casserole).|
- .5 cup mayonnaise
- 3 eggs
- .5 cup milk
- 1.5 tablespoons dry yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less depending on taste preference)
- 1 tablespoon dry parsley flakes (or 2 Tbl fresh parsley)
- 6 white bread slices (crust removed, cut into cubes)
- 3lb Blue Crab (if canned, 3 lbs of Phillips or Chicken of the Sea)
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs (plain)
- 1.5 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
If you are using crab meat from fresh steamed crabs that were steamed Maryland style with Old Bay, omit the old bay from this recipe or it will become too salty and over spiced.
When using fresh picked crab meat, the moisture level may vary. You may need to add more milk or mayonnaise if the mixture doesn't feel "wet". It should not feel dry Or, if it is very moist, omit the milk.
How to reheat leftovers: When you have leftovers, you want to be careful how you reheat them. You can heat it in the microwave, but my favorite way to reheat leftover crab casserole is to use a ramekin: spray ramekin with Pam, add crab, add 1 Tbl milk and bake at 350 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, or until hot.