Bill’s Smoked Mozzarella Eggplant Pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups eggplant (finely diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 can tomato sauce (15 oz)
- 1 can chicken broth (14.5 oz)
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil (chopped)
- 8oz smoked mozzarella cheese (1/4-inch diced)
- 1lb angel hair pasta
- Any pasta, fresh or dry, may be used.
- Although any cheese may be used, the smoked mozzarella is the best for this recipe and should be used if at all possible. If you cannot find smoked mozzarella use the un-smoked fresh buffalo mozzarella and add about a 1/4 tsp of Liquid Smoke.
- Use 1 Tbsp Dry Basil if fresh is not available.
- For a Lenten dish use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
- For a Lenten - Orthodox omit the cheese.
|Sauté the diced eggplant in olive oil until lightly browned. Add the garlic and salt and continue to sauté for another minute. Add the tomato sauce, chicken broth, red pepper flakes and basil and simmer, without a lid, for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. The mixture should have a slightly thickened sauce consistency.|
|Cook the pasta according to directions on package, timed to be ready when the sauce is reduced. Drain the pasta and add to the sauce along with the cheese cubes and toss. Serve immediately.|
My father, Bill, got this recipe sometime in the early 2000’s from watching Nick Stellino on the Cacino Amore TV Show. It’s one of his favorite pasta recipes. I’m not a fan of eggplant at all, but this recipe is one that I enjoy. So, try it and as always, Enjoy!